Welcome friends! Enjoy the micro-farming adventures of our family!

Sunday, April 15, 2012

New chicks

I picked up four new chicks to add to our little family of three hens and rooster. 

Unfortunately two of them passed; the first within 6 hours of coming home and the second two days later.  I have no idea why.  I called the store where I purchased them and was told that they were late on arriving by 16 hours and they believed they were stressed and dehydrated.  I tried some vegetable oil, electrolytes, etc, but they were unable to overcome their weakened state.  They were a Polish and Salmon Favorelle, and from what I understand are not the strongest birds in terms of constitution. 

My little boy was devastated.  He made two crosses and named them Goodie and Lilla.  He and his dad will make some wooded crosses to put out at the coop.

The other two appear to be doing alright and Nate has named them Sally and Lily.  These are a Barred Rock and Black Australorp.  I do hope these two little gals make it!

Here are some pics of our growing brood!






Samson and Delilah went for their first swim yesterday.  They were petrified, but eventually Sam got with the program and starting diving and swimming.  Del just squawked alot and paddled around.  It was cute.

The other gals head out to their coop tonight (yay! I get my closet back).  The geese too.  The geese will relocate to the dog crate and the chicken will have the run of the coop.  The two new babies will stay inside the closet, and be joined by the guineas soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment